Thursday, June 21, 2007

Codes, codes, codes...

Sheesh! Who knew there were so many codes to deal with! Since this is the first time I've ever gotten building permits, I never really cared! :) Although everything I do IS done correctly, I've never actually BUILT a building from scratch which has plumbing, electrical, HVAC, concrete slab, etc... Not to mention the fact that the building is about 150 feet away from the house! Since I'm going to have a bathroom, shower and small kitchen up there, there is of course the whole "How do you tie into the septic system?" question... To which I have NOT been able to find the answer. Even though I've looked online, through books and even went to the library today and checked more books out! So I might have to 'wing' that one... :) The water supply line out to the building is another question, I may have to actually inquire about that as I don't really want to lose any water pressure in my house by running a supply line out 180 feet!

I did however manage to get the building permit today for the pool house, with minimal effort. Of course they practically know me up there as I recently pulled the deck and pool permits. She was asking me if I had the plumbing, electrical or HVAC permits yet, to which I replied: "Huh?" Then I just started talking about how I had the pool permit, and I ran 2 gauge wire out to a sub-panel that will feed the pool equipment as well as all the circuits in the pool house... She was like, "Oh, well then I'm sure you have those permits then." Whew!! Because I have zero clue. I have talked to several of the inspectors as well, and they all seem nice. When I called to see at what phases I needed them to come out and inspect the deck, the inspector was like, "Oh, just build the damn thing, then we'll come out and take a look." I was like, "I thought you had to inspect the footings for the posts before I poured the concrete." To which he replied, "Nah, we'll just probe the footings once you are done." So hopefully it will all be smooth sailing as I prepare to get this thing done!!

I've got to get that area ready for some guy to come pour the concrete for the slab mid next week, and NO, I've not yet started! I'm about to go to the subdivision they are building down the road to check out the plumbing that goes in the slab prior to the pour! Don't want to screw that up, and I barely know what I'm doing in that department! Can't be that hard though! :)

3 comments:

Matthew said...

Okay, that whole 'going to the subdivision to check it out' didn't quite work as there are no slabs in progress... Oh well, I'll just wing that too! :)

Petra said...

lol @ your comment. This is sounding fairly complicated. :) Yeah, I'm just finishing getting all caught up on the last couple days' posts. I'm up to date now - feel free to add more posts at your leisure. :D

Matthew said...

LOL! It's not really all that complicated, there is just a lot to it! Particularly when you are trying to so much at once... Oh well, it's coming along fine!! :)