Monday, June 11, 2007

Best Man...

So as many of you know, I am the best man for Titus at the wedding that is RIGHT around the corner. So I Googled "best mans responsibilities" and this is what came up:

1. Make absolutely sure that the groom has the marriage license with him.

2. Receive the minister's fee from the groom and give it to the minister privately following the ceremony.

3. Help the groom pack for his honeymoon.

4. Help the groom dress for the ceremony.

5. If a ring bearer is to be in the wedding, the Best Man is responsible to oversee the child and be sure he understands his duties.

6. Assist with luggage arrangements for both the bride and the groom so that everything will be ready for their departure.

7. Make sure car or travel arrangements are set and that the groom is carrying any necessary reservations, tickets, money and travelers checks.

8. The Best Man will want to ride to the church with the groom.

9. It is the Best Man's responsibility to make sure the ushers are together and ready before the ceremony begins. Many weddings have been delayed by dilly dallying ushers who are either cutting up to relieve the tension they feel or are out having the last quick puff on a cigarette.

10. Alert ushers as to the ladies who will be wearing flowers and make sure they are not seated before receiving them.

11. Check all the men's boutonnieres. These should always be worn on the left lapel, stem down.

12. Perform any task or errand the groom or the bride's mother may request at the church.

13. If applicable, remind the groom to remove his gloves as the bride comes down the aisle.

14. Be first at the reception in order to welcome the bride and groom.

15. The Best Man is responsible to make the first toast to the bride and groom at the wedding.

16. The Best Man is also responsible to make the first toast at the rehearsal dinner.

17. The Best Man should act as a host, making introductions when necessary and helping to make the guests feel welcome.

18. The Best Man should dance at the reception with the bride, both mothers and as many of the bridal attendants and guest as possible.

19. Help the groom change into his travel clothes after the reception. Find out when the bride is ready to leave and with the maid/matron of honors, help the bride and groom depart.

20. Return the groom's tuxedo to the tux shop or if it belongs to the groom, be responsible for taking it to the cleaners.

21. Order flowers for the bride and groom's room at the first stop of the honeymoon trip.

22. Another responsibility of the Best Man may include the signing of the marriage certificate. This is not only a legal document but also a beautiful keepsake for the couple. Many times, the Best Man is not aware that his signature may be required and he may be off with the guests.

Note about ring bearer: The Best Man has the responsibility of carrying the bride's wedding ring. However, many times the couple will also want to have a ring bearer. We recommend that the "real" ring be kept safe in the pocket of the Best Man. Why? Just remember the boy with stage fright who never made it down the aisle…or even better, the ring bearer who argued with the Best Man when he tried to remove the ring and then cried his eyes out when the Best Man took it away.

Hmmm... I guess I have more preparation to do! I was aware of the whole toast thing, and am trying to come up with something clever (don't worry too much Titus!). Dancing?!? I suppose I know how to dance, but maybe I should go take a lesson? We'll see, I'm sure it will all work out fine! I'm not sure Titus needs help dressing though, Titus? We'll see! I'm sure it will be a lovely affair, I just didn't realize how much I needed to do. Not that I mind in the slightest!!! Let's see, hauling 3+ tons of concrete to the dump, or hanging out in Monterey at a Country Club tending to the ring bearer... Hmmm... That's kind of a no brainer if you ask me... :)

15 comments:

Matthew said...

You know, I know this topic has come up before... I just don't understand why people that stop by can't comment... Whatever...

Petra said...

LOL - that's quite the list there! I hope Titus knows how to dress himself by now; maybe they are referring to the grooms that are still drunk from their bachelor party from the night before?! :)

Daniel said...

I think those two times of helping Titus dress will be very special. . . Is that (uhm, how should I say?) a "straight from the shower" to "all suited up" dressing? Hahaha!

I say take a few dancing lessons - it sounds as though you'll be dancin' all night!

Titus said...

LOL @ #19... really? people help other people change clothes??? idiotic.

i smoke, so #9 isn't so bad, this won't be a prob though b/c we don't have ushers.

don't worry on the toast, we just want to hang out with you all.

not long now... i love jackie and i'm sure it will be beautiful no matter what.

Matthew said...

LOL Petra! I'm sure that is likely the case... Hauling some guy who is still three sheets to the wind from the night before and making sure he puts on the right outfit! :)

Hopefully not Daniel... :) Although I would dare say that it has probably happened in the past to some best men, depending on how much was consumed at the bachelor party by the groom... :)

Yeah, I'd be right out there with the smokers, so I guess I wouldn't be much help on that one Titus, so I guess it's a good thing there are no ushers! :)

Daniel said...

"three sheets to the wind"

Never heard that before. . . I don't get it.

Matthew said...

[Q] From Benjamin Weatherston: “How does the term three sheets to the wind denote drunkenness?”

[A] It’s a sailor’s expression, from the days of sailing ships. The terminology of sailing ships is excessively complicated and every time I refer to it people write in to say I’ve got it wrong, usually contradicting each other. So treat what follows as a broad-brush treatment, open to dispute on fine points.

We ignorant landlubbers might think that a sheet is a sail, but in traditional sailing-ship days, a sheet was actually a rope, particularly one attached to the bottom corner of a sail (it actually comes from an Old English term for the corner of a sail). The sheets were vital, since they trimmed the sail to the wind. If they ran loose, the sail would flutter about in the wind and the ship would wallow off its course out of control.

Extend this idea to sailors on shore leave, staggering back to the ship after a good night on the town, well tanked up. The irregular and uncertain locomotion of these jolly tars must have reminded onlookers of the way a ship moved in which the sheets were loose. Perhaps one loose sheet might not have been enough to get the image across, so the speakers borrowed the idea of a three-masted sailing ship with three sheets loose, so the saying became three sheets in the wind.

Our first written example comes from that recorder of low life, Pierce Egan, in his Real life in London of 1821. But it must surely be much older.

The version you give, incidentally, is comparatively recent, since the older one (the only one given in the big Oxford English Dictionary) is three sheets in the wind. However, online searches show that your version is now about ten times as common as the one containing in, so it may be that some day soon it will be the only one around. The version with to seems to be gaining ground because so many people think a sheet is a sail.

A bit of trivia for you! :)

Petra said...

LOL Matt. I was about to explain it to Daniel by saying:

three sheets to the wind = drunk

I like your explanation better though. :)

Tim said...

Good explanation :), I know you'll do fine as a best man. Just the fact that you looked at the responsibilities ensures that :).

Matthew said...

I wasn't 'worried' about it Timberly. I've just never been to a wedding like this, so thought I'd check... :)

Daniel said...

I don't know if I could be that busy. . . We are some of the biggest homebodies known to man. Few things are more wonderful to us than saying, "We aren't leaving the house this weekend; the cell phone's off; land line's unplugged. YES!!!" :)

Daniel said...

Okay - that commment was supposed to be on the other thread. Oops.

Daniel said...

Thanks for the trivia, btw!

Matthew said...

LOL Daniel. Believe it or not, so am I!! I NEVER really want to leave my house, but at times I must! :)

I'm just trying to create the house that I want to live in! Once done, I just might never leave!! :)

In order to create the environment I want though, work must be done, I HATE doing most of the projects I do around here, but just would rather do them myself rather than pay someone else to do them, simply because of the cost perspective! I will be SOOOO glad when it is done, and I DO see the light at the end of the tunnel now!! FINALLY!! Once done, you will find me doing NOTHING except hanging out at the pool, watching the kids swim, writing, researching, and doing other things I love doing!! :)

Matthew said...

I am however an Internet junkie, so I couldn't live without that! I could turn off the phone I suppose, as I don't really like to 'chat' on the phone! Idle, mindless banter I'm NOT interested in at ALL!!! I do like to chat with Titus, I suppose I would likely enjoy chatting with you as well Daniel, but who knows, we've never really 'chatted'... :)