Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Lesson Plans...

You know... Not sure why I start out with that, but whatever... I'm sure most of you have read many of the posts that I have deleted... Some have accused me of claiming that 'I was always right' or that 'I was stubborn'... Well?? Who isn't? Do the same people that accuse me of that not act the same way? Of course I think I am always right! Stubborn? Depends on the issue! Show me a man who does not think he is right, and stand by his beliefs and principles, and I'll show you a person who is a spineless bastard... Of course I stand up for what I believe in, not only stand up for it, but shout it out!!! Anyway, my children are getting older... My oldest I see not only does the same thing, but he is two or three times as stubborn as I am... Ack!! Yeah, I know! So it takes a delicate approach, no, I don't beat the shit out of him to force him to succumb to my belief system... I don't threaten him with bodily harm of any kind, you know what, I TALK to him... Guess what, he listens!! I'm fairly new to this whole Fatherhood thing, my oldest is barely nine... So I AM still learning, but I know what DOESN'T work... I DO know that I should have gotten my children in church earlier than I did, but I didn't because the churches I went to as a child and a teenager nauseated me... I probably went for nearly twenty years without going to church... Thanks to the 'baptist' arguing about silly crap that doesn't even matter... I could go on and on... The point is, my children need guidance, not beatings because they don't see eye to eye with me... They are people that God has entrusted to my care for about eighteen years... I intend to do my best! I had a GREAT talk with my oldest this evening, and we have made a pact with each other! I did not beat him because he lied to me, I explained to him the 'facts' of life... Not only did he understand, he grabbed my neck, hugged me, and thanked me... You CANNOT force your 'beliefs' on the people that God has entrusted to your care for a few years, to think you can is ludicrous...

8 comments:

Matthew said...

I'll comment more tomorrow... More 'Flashbacks' coming as well... :)

Matthew said...

It DOES amaze me how many read this, yet how few comment... I'll leave that alone though... I guess it also BOGGLES my mind as well, more people have read my blog today than ever... Who knew? :)

Matthew said...

Keep reading though, I no longer care if you comment or not... :) Thanks for those who do send me e-mails though!!

Petra said...

I agree you cannot force your beliefs on your children, you have to guide them and train them. And if you want them to believe the way you do, then LIVE it because more often children do what you DO than what you SAY. :)

Anonymous said...

Good points. Speaking of flashbacks, I'm still waiting with bated breath for more old photos. . . When making your selections, remember the rule of old photos: the more embarassing it is for those in the photo, the more entertaining it will be to the rest of us. hahaha

Matthew said...

LOL... I'll see how many potentially embarrassing photos I can find... :)

Tim said...

That's good Matt. We practice the same thing with Nick and Nathaniel. Often times the kids do not understand because they are not adults yet. They really need understanding and guidance.

Matthew said...

Yeah Timberly, I 'train' my kids, I don't beat the shit out of them and try to force feed them my beliefs... I think the purpose of parents is to train and guide... jmo...