Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Bowl Commercials...



Many people are more interested in the Super Bowl commercials than they are in the game itself. Companies spend millions making the commercials and then millions more for the time slots available during the event. This year, rather than spend a million+ dollars having an ad agency create the commercial for Doritos, they decided to let normal people such as you and I create commercials, submit them, and then let the people vote on which one would be aired during the game:

Contest Here...

Of course the contest is closed, 5 finalists won $10,000 each and a trip to Super Bowl XLI... So not only did they save nearly a million dollars, but they likely have started the ad agencies secretly wondering how much longer they will be able to charge their million dollar plus fees to create the commercials not only for the Super Bowl, but for anything, when the public is more than willing to do it for a fraction of the cost...

Speaking of the Super Bowl, I RARELY watch the game, because frankly, I could care less... I realize I'm in the minority, but still have zero interest... My next door neighbor called me a few days ago and asked what I was doing Sunday, not thinking clearly, I said "Nothing really, why?" So now I guess I'm actually going to be watching the game next door... Joy, joy, joy!

5 comments:

Petra said...

LOL. We are going to a Super Bowl party too with friends from church. Brittany's going to a youth group super bowl party. I do like to watch the commercials, but I don't care much about football. I was told this morning that we are rooting for Indiana because of Payton Manning. Okay. Woo hoo. Go Manning! Don't I seem enthused??? :)

Tim said...

I forgot it was the super bowl yesterday until I read your blog...my co-worker said the colts won, so yay Peyton (he's come a long way from UT).

True about the public willing to do stuff for smaller amounts. The same thing has happened in the stock photography world. What with istock, dreamstime, etc. the larger licensing firms are having to really specialize.

Matthew said...

That Doritos commercial (which they claim cost $12 to make) ranked 4th in the annual USA Today Ad Meter...

Joshua Goodling said...

I didn't see any commercials that I thought were "good". I was shocked people actually spent 2.5 million to air some of those things.....let alone the money they spent producing them.

Daniel said...

I didn't watch any of it. . .