Monday, April 16, 2007

I Should Have Been Programmer...

Ever wanted to do something, then try to find a software program to help you? I have, MANY times! NONE of the programs do what they say they do, except the expensive ones, like PhotoShop, etc... So I am going to build a deck (no, I'm not done with the entertainment center or the trim upstairs, but it just wouldn't be right to not start another project BEFORE I'm done! :) and I have been trying to find a software program to design it and spit me out a materials list (why? I'm not sure, I should do it like I do everything else, just start building it! :).

Needless to say, ALL of the programs I've seen suck! I actually just bought one and downloaded it, and it sucks so bad I've already asked for my money back, I doubt I'll get it, but wow! It was totally unusable! Luckily it was only $19...

So then I keep going back to the Lowe's online one, and wow! I guess I'm just going to have to take it to the store, let them customize it for me and print out the plans, then just go get the stuff myself... Take carriage bolts for instance... Needed to bolt the beams to the posts I suppose, but they are $1.72 each at Lowe's and Home Depot and the nuts and washers are extra!! The plan said I needed 132 of them!! That's $227.04 for JUST the bolts!! I found them on Ebay WITH the washers and the nuts, 140 of them for $99.95 and FREE shipping! So anyway, I just need the plans, that's all! Matter of fact, I've been looking on Ebay for the ballusters I want as well, and they are a third of what they are at the Lowes and Home Depot... Gotta LOVE Ebay! Craigslist as well! I'll be looking for lumber on Craigslist in a few... :)

So anyway, if anyone knows of any decent software...

Here's a pic from Lowe's online design software:

Basically what I'm going to build, but none of these programs will spit me out a materials list... So I imagine I'll just start building and make multiple trips for supplies! :)

16 comments:

Matthew said...

Oh, in case anyone else is thinking of buying deck software, DON'T buy this one: DIY Deck Designer 6.1.12 - McFarland

Titus said...

LOL. yeah, i RARELY find software that actually does what it claims to do. AND, spend more time deleting it from the pc than installing it.

good idea to shop around for supplies on the deck, sounds like an expensive project.

Matthew said...

It's actually not, by shopping around and getting the materials the way I am and building it myself I can do it for about $1,500... Of course I've been quoted over 7 times that amount...

Daniel said...

USE COMPOSITE DECKING!!!!!!!

That's all I have to say. :)

Petra said...

Are you putting it right out the living room door? Will it go up to the existing deck off the (is it a playroom now?)? I want details.

And yeah - I can't foresee ever needing this type of software since I don't build.... and my husband doesn't build either (to my knowledge - he's been known to surprise me with hidden talents). :)

Titus said...

i DEFINTELY would NOT use composite decking.

Matthew said...

Petra - if you remember that little deck off the "other room", using the term deck rather loosely there of course considering the size of the thing and the brick stairs that lead to the back door... Both of those will be torn down and the deck will stretch from door to door...

Do you have horror stories from composite decking Daniel?

I will be using Top Choice pressure treated lumber... Composite decking would triple the price... I think pressure treated lumber is fine so long as you keep it coated... We'll see... :)

Matthew said...

Or rather that would be horror stories from pressure treated lumber... :)

Daniel said...

"Or rather that would be horror stories from pressure treated lumber... :)"

Exactly. Not that I have a "horror story" but, from what I've gathered (ahem, not to mention being a Home Depot expert :)), composite is a hundred times better than wood.

Wood - pain in the bum. You have to stain it or seal it, which is hugely annoying. And, you have to do it every few years or so; you have to pressure wash it, and it still rots eventually - it annoys me altogether.

Is the only downside to composite the cost? I haven't heard any other complaints about composite. I mean, it looks and feels great (no splinters!).

To me, using wood for a deck instead of composite is like using wood siding instead of vinyl - why?

Daniel said...

What don't you like about composite, Titus?

Titus said...

i have known a few people who had them installed, nightmares at best. that was a few years back, perhaps they have gotten better at manufacturing them.

main problem is mold.

another major issue i have is that you have to use chemicals to clean it. with wood, a re-finish is easy with an industrial sander.

they also say they (composite decks) 'last forever'. i'm no huge fan of utilizing materials that have no life span.

not that i'm a tree-hugger on anything.

Matthew said...

LOL Titus...

Yes Daniel, it's the cost issue... I don't mind sealing it and staining it every year... :)

Matthew said...

It's not going to be that big, and I am going to be using those black round posts (Deckorators I think) for the ballusters, so I'll really just have to spray the deck with sealer whenever needed...

Plus, I have a pressure washer... So no big deal there either... :)

Titus said...

oh, not to mention all the class action lawsuits filed against composite deck manufacturers. :)

Matthew said...

It's 11' x 32' in case anyone is wondering... There will be two places where it juts out 2' and then the stairs...

Matthew said...

Surprise, surprise... They ARE going to refund my money... :)

"Thank you for contacting Customer Support.

We have received your request for a refund. Your account will be refunded and credited within the next 3-5 business days.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email.

Thanks,
Customer Support"