Monday, April 23, 2007

Contractors!!!

Have I mentioned how much I hate contractors??? I had one out today to empty my septic tank, and WOW!!! What a day it's been! So the contractors get out here, and I wasn't even at the house, Carolyn calls me and tells me to get home now because they want to add extra charges to the $285 charge for pumping out the septic tank...

So the first thing they said was that the lid was broken, now maybe it was, maybe it wasn't... Carolyn didn't see them remove it and I wasn't there... When I arrive home, I asked them how much extra it was. He finally comes back with a figure of $2,995.00... HUH??? WHERE did you get that figure I asked. Well, the lid is $750.00. HUH? It's a slab of concrete!! Some other part was $1,695.00 (discount price) and then another $265.00 for some sort of chemicals... I told the guy, and he looked stunned when I did, don't do ANYTHING except pump it out, I have to make some calls. I called Joe first, he said he didn't do that kind of stuff, but would make some calls. I then called some company that actually makes the septic equipment and they said they would sell me the lid for $108!!! I said I'll be over shortly to get it! I went out and told the morons in my front yard, pump it out and leave! They were like, just leave it uncovered?? Yeah!

The $2,710.00 lid (actual cost = $108), because the guys I bought the lid from said I didn't even need the other part those crooks tried to sell me for nearly $2K... I suppose most homeowners would have just paid the nearly three grand though, because they would not have wanted to have the septic tank left uncovered while they found something cheaper! Of course the problem is, I can't lift it! I can't even lift one side of it... So now I have to get the Bobcat repaired tomorrow so that I can move it! :)

My temporary cover!! I told the kids, don't get near it unless you want to be swimming in our waste! They got it! So hopefully, I'll get the Bobcat working again tomorrow and problem will be solved. For a hundred bucks rather than 2700... Wow!

7 comments:

Petra said...

LOL! Sounds like a fun day for you then. :)

Matthew said...

LOL! Yeah, REAL fun! :)

At least I didn't have them do it though, because I almost did...

Matthew said...

In case anyone is wondering, there are 2x4's, plywood, and even a pallet underneath the tarp... So even if one of the kids stepped on it, it wouldn't matter... :)

Joshua Goodling said...

Yes, it's amazing how many people try to rip people off. You always have to watch out for those kind of people when you hire any type of home repair, car repair, etc. services.

Petra said...

Speaking of car repair... Never go to Just Brakes. Or as we like to call it "Just (messed up your) Brakes". I had to get the brakes fixed while Andy was in Iraq, and they saw me coming a mile away - charged me too much - and we've been back three times. And the brakes still don't work properly. I'm waiting til Andy comes home to take it back in so he can give them a piece of my mind! :)

Matthew said...

Speaking of Just "screw up my" Brake(s)... I took mine in there about 6 or 7 months ago and when I went to get my car, the windows were all down the car was unlocked and it had rained during the night... I had dropped it off and picked it up the next day... WOW! I'm amazed how some of these places even stay in business...

Titus said...

glad you were able to find the lid quickly and cheaply!

LOL at the 'my', Petra... "I'm waiting til Andy comes home to take it back in so he can give them a piece of my mind! :)"