Saturday, November 04, 2006

Republicans Are Out...

That's what anyone would think anyway reading the headlines: NYT "G.O.P. Glum as It Struggles to Hold Congress" and Newsweek "GOP Looking for a Lifeboat" are just two of the many... Republicans give up on House, focus on trying to maintain the Senate, on and on it goes...

I would offer though, that many of the polls I look at are within the margin of error... Does that not mean it's a tossup?? Why yes, it does! How scientific are polls these days anyway? Over half of the people I know do not even have land lines anymore, they only have cell phones, so they are never polled, yet they all vote. I would dare say many people under say 35 only have cell phones these days, so they all are not included in any of the polling, so is the polling data even relevant? I've saved a lot of these polls coming down the backstretch and I'll compare them to the actual results and we'll see just how correct the polls were in general.

I think there are basically three crowds of people though that will be voting:

1.) People who hate Bush so much that they are voting Democrat and could care less what the consequences would be (or idiots as I call them)
2.) People who love Bush and will vote Republican no matter what
3.) People (like myself) who disagree with how the Republicans have used their power over the past six years, but realize what a disaster it would be for the Democrats to take control

I do think there will be a high turnout for this midterm election, it will be interesting to see how high it is...

One thing that does irritate me, is the "phone calls" from candidates and you answer the phone and its: "Hi, this is Bob, I'm running for whatever, I would really appreciate your vote." Huh?? Don't call me at night just so I can listen to a recorded message... I actually started to put together a list of the people who did call me, I've had 12 so far, and was going to vote for whoever was running against them... Then I scrapped that idea because I'm voting all Republican because I think the Democrats winning anything would be disastrous... We'll see what happens, I'll be glued to the TV Tuesday evening and all day Wednesday... (I'm taking the day off Wednesday just so I can watch the potential circus unfold)...

14 comments:

Joshua Goodling said...

Of course, the liberal news media wants everyone who is voting Republican to think "awe, the Repubs are going to lose anyway so I might as well not waste my time voting". I just hope more people realize that the polls don't mean anything - and go vote!

Petra said...

I hope all the Republicans get out and vote as well... speaking of which... where did I put that voter registration card? I need to find that tomorrow! :)

Matthew said...

LOL... I can't find mine either... I'll just take my driver's license and passport though, that should suffice...

Petra said...

Does that work? What if I don't know where I'm supposed to vote (I haven't voted in TX before)?

Matthew said...

You can check here Petra...

Joshua Goodling said...

Well, the liberal news media is now saying that the Repubs might keep the Senate: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15547023/

Matthew said...

Not sure what the laws are in TX, but I called this AM and all you need is a driver's license... :)

Don't forget to vote for Kinky Friedman Petra!

Yeah, I think they will safely hang on to the Senate, who knows, maybe even the House... :) One can hope anyway...

Matthew said...

Hopefully it will also be raining everywhere tomorrow, I know it will be here! I think it is a proven fact that the Democrats don't turn out in as high of numbers when the weather is bad...

Petra said...

Ugh. I checked, Matt, and I didn't have a TX drivers license when I registered to vote so I can't check that way. I just need to find that voter registration card!!

Matthew said...

I hope you find it Petra! The sad thing is, many in your situation would not even bother to look for it, which is why so many idiots are in the House and the Senate... So even if you don't find it, call your election officials and find out how you can cast your vote without the 'card'... There has to be a way, so long as you can prove who you are...

Matthew said...

I called mine this morning btw and told them I 'misplaced' my card, they assured me that as long as I had my driver's license, I could cast my vote...

Petra said...

Yeah, I will vote. If I don't find my card by morning, I'll start making phone calls. :)

Matthew said...

If you are registered, I would think you could just show up with your license... :)

Matthew said...

No circus... Thankfully... (Although I guess VA could turn into a nightmare, Allen just needs to give it up and go home... You lost buddy, get over it!)

A major 'no confidence' vote though, which I suppose is likely for the best... We'll see...