Sunday, November 19, 2006

Christmas Lists...

Anyone with children I'm sure is starting to get "Christmas Lists"...



My own children have been writing their own "lists" for days now... I do tell my own children the true meaning of Christmas, but the commercialization factor is more "in your face" now than ever before... They were putting Christmas items out the day after Halloween in many stores... How many though know the true meaning of Christmas? What if we never even put up a tree or decorated? Most would say we had forsaken Christmas. What if we bought no gifts for anyone, not even those who had given us gifts? I'm sure most would talk about us, referring to us as "Those people"...

Yet how many people even know what the meaning of the holiday is? I'm sure most do, but how many include the meaning of the holiday in the festivities? I love the holiday season, Thanksgiving, where we can all be thankful for our great country and think and reflect on what we are all thankful for. Christmas, where we celebrate the birth of our Lord. Then the celebration of the New Year. I disagree with many of the "things" that are tied to the holidays by the marketers and the people who profit from the holidays, but if you can wade through all of that without getting caught up in it, it can be a great family time...

1 comment:

Petra said...

Andy's mom sometimes makes a cake for Jesus on Christmas (she may do it every year, but it's been a while since we were there ON Christmas so I'm not sure)... anyway, she puts candles on the cake and we sing happy birthday to Jesus with the kids and talk about what Christmas is about. The kids think it's really neat and they are reminded about why we are celebrating. Anyway, I think it's a good idea and have thought about starting to do that myself. :)