Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Heaven...

As I sometimes do during lunch, I went to the bookstore today to look around (I love bookstores)... As I was walking to pay for the only Sidney Sheldon book I haven't read that I picked up on the bargain table, I saw this one on a different bargain table near the checkout:



My old neighbor and I were sitting on her front porch shortly after her son died, and she was telling me about this book. She told me how much it inspired her, but of course I soon forgot the title... Well, now I have it... I read the reviews people gave on Amazon... I should have waited until after I read it, but too late... I'll let you know what I think, just curious if anyone else has read it...

Here is the gist of it:

As he is driving home from a minister's conference, Baptist minister Don Piper collides with a semi-truck that crosses into his lane. He is pronounced dead at the scene. For the next 90 minutes, Piper experiences heaven where he is greeted by those who had influenced him spiritually. He hears beautiful music and feels true peace.
Back on earth, a passing minister who had also been at the conference is led to pray for Don even though he knows the man is dead. Piper miraculously comes back to life and the bliss of heaven is replaced by a long and painful recovery.

3 comments:

Matthew said...

I guess my initial issue with the book is this... If he had truly gone to heaven and seen it, why would he have come back to earth bitter and upset? I don't recall John the Baptist having that reaction... We'll see, I'll read the book...

Petra said...

Let me know after you read the book if it's worth reading. I would agree with your initial assessment. Maybe he just had a dream. If he is now bitter and upset, I would have my doubts.

Joshua Goodling said...

Yeah, I've heard about that book. Haven't read it, but from what I have heard about it - I'm not so sure.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on it after you've read it.