Monday, January 22, 2007

Taxes and Politics...

Taxes: It's that time of year, I hear people already in my little sea of cubicles bitching about the 'dreaded chore' of doing their taxes... Whenever I hear all the morons bitch and moan about it, I always think to myself, "What's the big deal?"... I file taxes like everyone else does, but I just did mine and it took me about an hour and a half... I always wonder though as I finish my taxes "Why does it take everyone else so long?"... I can't answer that question though... Are they all morons? Idiots? Or what? I don't know. I guess if you don't have all the documents you need you could spend a while looking for them, other than that, I can't imagine why it would take very long or why it would cause stress... I have a bin tagged 'IRS' and all through the year, when I get documents that I know I'll need for filing taxes, into the bin it goes... Tonight, I emptied the bin onto my desk, and like I said, it took about an hour or so... I won't even get into the ones who have to file for extensions, unless they owe money, but if you owe money, maybe you should rethink your withholding... Or if you are self employed, perhaps pay your taxes quarterly as you should... Who knows, all I know is that I likely have just as many deductions, etc as anyone else, and it's NOT complicated...

Politics: 2008... First time in 70 years that it has been an open field, and they are lining up for it... This is also probably the first time the race to the White House has started so early, it should be interesting... I'm looking forward to it! There are so many people throwing their hats in the ring, it should be fun. You have the media treating Obama like a rock star, why I'm not sure. It forced Hillary to jump in though, which was earlier than she wanted I think, but she had to, otherwise we would have heard about Obama all weekend, by her throwing in, she stopped that somewhat. Most of the fools throwing their hats in the ring though have zero chance. I almost think that of the ones who have either setup exploratory committees (which means they are running) or announced their intentions to run that even have a chance are Hillary and McCain... Of those two, I wonder if McCain can even get the Republican vote, and I say Hillary just might win... There is a lot of time to go, more people to throw their hats in the ring, it will be a long fight, and we'll hear about it 24/7... When it comes down to actually voting, Americans might be so sick of the 24/7 coverage for nearly 2 years, they just might send Hillary to the White House... It will be interesting, that's for sure...

6 comments:

Petra said...

I'm with you on the taxes, especially with all the software now that does your taxes FOR you... it's a matter of clicking "yes" or "no" and entering a few numbers. Mine took a couple hours, but that's only because I entered all the information into three different pieces of software for comparison (and am glad I did, as stated on my blog). :)

I still say Oprah should run. :D

Daniel said...

I personally enjoy doing my taxes, probably because I always get money back, so it's like a big scratch off ticket. . . how much this year?! BIG MONEY! lol

I can't believe the media is blabbing about the 2008 election already. And the Obama stuff - I just have to roll my eyes. And, Hillary - I can't even begin. . .

I still like Condi.

Matthew said...

Not so sure about the whole Oprah thing, who knows though, how could she be worse than the pathetic field forming now... :)

I'm not so sure I 'enjoy' doing my taxes, it certainly isn't painful though... I've gotten a bit back myself though for the past few years, I need to redo my withholdings so I can stop being an interest free loan company to the government... :)

The media won't stop until it's over at the end of 2008...

Matthew said...

Regarding the 'fools' like Kucinich who somehow think that they have a shot, although, do they really? What kills me the most is the morons who live in their states or districts that actually elect them... Did you happen to glance at "The Kucinich Plan for Iraq"? Jeez, where do these people come from? Well, they are elected by the idiots and morons who make up the great unwashed masses of the United States of America, and it's a sad state of affairs really...

Matthew said...

I think though that what I would really like to get my hands on is the addresses of the people who actually donate money to people like Kucinich... That would be a GREAT list to have, you could do so much with it...

Tim said...

Are taxes are a bit difficult still, but next year should be smooth sailing. No more property sales, etc. Oh wait, I forgot we are still trying to sell that little property in Knoxville. Anybody interested?