Friday, January 19, 2007

Knoxville...

So we decided to take the kids out of school today and go ahead and drive to Knoxville... I guess we got here about 2:00, of course the first thing the kids did was drag me to the pool... We swam for a bit, then had to get ready to go eat... We picked up Betty (Carolyn's friend) and headed to Litton's for dinner, Cory (who came up Wednesday) met us there... If you ever do go to Knoxville, Litton's has the best ribeye I've ever eaten anywhere, and I've eaten at places all over the country... We had a great dinner and then decided to head to Mynatt's to see Alfred (they had a viewing today apparently), we got to the funeral home and saw him, it's amazing how different people look after they 'fix' you up for the funeral... The kids were a little sad, so I explained to them that Grandad told us before he passed on that he did not want us to mourn, that he was ready to go... They understood, but there is still time for mourning and saying goodbye, that's what humans do... So now we are back at the hotel, and the kids are jumping up and down ready to head back to the pool... Ughh! I mean, I don't mind swimming, but haven't we already been today?? What can you do? I guess I could say no, but that wouldn't be any fun for them... :) So off I go to the pool... I can't post any pics until I get back home because I forgot my cable to transfer the pics to my PC...

8 comments:

Joshua Goodling said...

Yeah, I'm not much on swimming myself. Now I can spend hours in a hot tub - but pools don't really interest me.

Petra said...

I think Titus and I were trying to post at the same time and it wouldn't let me post - weird.

Anyway... :D

my kids love swimming too - they always want to stay longer than me.

Is the funeral today? I was around Chance's age when Grandpa Woods died.

Matthew said...

Yes, the funeral was today... It was kind of funny, there were a ton of people there, but my kids were the only kids there... It is kind of nice though to have people come up and go on and on about how they can't believe how good your kids are... :) Of course it always surprises me a bit, I can't believe people allow their children to act out in public...

The service was nice though, then we all went to the cemetary (just Al's kids and their families) and the pastor said a few words and everyone said goodbye.

Then we all went over to Carolyn's sisters house (we didn't know we were having dinner over there) and ate... Of course before the service, Chance wanted to know if we could eat at The Chop House after because he wanted a ribeye, so I said okay... So after we got through at Nancy's house, Chance told us he didn't eat much of the 'boring' food there because he was saving room for his ribeye... :) He cracks me up! So we went and picked up Betty and had dinner at The Chop House... Back home tomorrow!!!

Petra said...

LOL - kids are so funny.

Yeah, it always amazes me too when people go on and on about how well behaved my children are... I mean, hello - it's not difficult to have children that don't act like maniacs in public! I guess they think it is though. LOL

Matthew said...

Yeah, I think it's because most people that have kids don't spend the time it takes with their kids to have well behaved children... These days though, most people don't even raise their own kids, the daycares, schools, camps, video games and TV do...

Tim said...

Glad you all enjoyed yourselves. I probably will withhold comment on the kids thing, because my two boys are quite active and their attention span is somewhat limited at best. My explanation, do any of you know LeRoy? : ). Of course at school they talk about how good the boys are, so maybe they are well behaved just energetic? I think I'll go with that explanation LOL.

Tim said...

I just realized the enjoyed yourselves bit might not have been appropriate for a funeral, but you probably gathered my gist. I remember taking the kids to their grandmother's funeral in NY. Nick was about 5 I think.

Matthew said...

We actually did enjoy ourselves at the funeral Timberly! Like the pastor said, it's a celebration! Al was ready to go, and he specifically told us all NOT to mourn, that he was happy...