Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Birth Control...

An interesting topic for married people who claim to believe in God and the Bible... I've never used any form of it myself and I'm not 100% sure where I stand on the issue exactly, the topic came up not long ago though in conversation and I realized that I had never really thought about it... There are many forms of birth control: abstinence; coitus interruptus (likely the oldest method other than abstinence); condoms; diaphrams; sponges; etc... Sterilization works as well, although it's not 100% effective, but nearly... I guess I would have to say it depends on the reason why people would want to use birth control, and there are many: don't want children; want a career; financial considerations; don't have time for children; and I guess any number of other reasons.

Genesis 1:28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.

So God said to be fruitful and multiply, I don't guess he really said when though... I think the story that most people against birth control use is the story of Er and Onan, if you are not familiar with the story, it's in Genesis 38. The gist of it is that Er's father (Judah) chose Tamar to be Er's wife, God slew Er because he was wicked, Judah told Onan to marry his brothers wife and 'raise up seed', Onan didn't want to because he knew it wouldn't be his, so he "spilled his seed on the ground", God slew him for it... In that instance, the coitus interruptus method of birth control was used, but out of reasons of selfishness, so it really doesn't condemn birth control in all instances, only in that one...

Genesis 33:5 And he lifted up his eyes, and saw the women and the children; and said, Who are those with thee? And he said, The children which God hath graciously given thy servant.

Psalms 127:3-5 Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth. Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate.

Just two examples talking about children, but they are all throughout the Bible, yet it really doesn't say NOT to use birth control...

I guess my take on it would be, who are we to question God's plans and try to in our own human minds "plan" when we should have children? I would say people that do it are not very close to God in the slightest, matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that they likely don't have ANY sort of a relationship with God. If we are close to God, then God knows when and how we can have children, He certainly would never give us more to handle than we are able to, and if people do if for financial reasons, then that means they have ZERO faith that God will provide their needs! So yeah, now that I have thought about it, I would say that just because God doesn't condemn it like he does some other sins, it is just as big of a sin because we are showing a complete lack of faith and trust in God that He knows better what is best for our lives rather than we ourselves do! So I guess I would have to say that if God had wanted us to practice birth control ourselves, He would have installed yes or no switches on our penises...

17 comments:

Tim said...

I looked at the Answers in Genesis website about birth control. It was interesting. Many people that have advocated birth control and sterilization where against God and religion. I guess that tells you something. I would have to disagree with the "I would say people that do it are not very close to God in the slightest, matter of fact, I would go so far as to say that they likely don't have ANY sort of a relationship with God" bit though. I know personally I struggle with different aspects of faith, in this fallen world we all do. To make a dogmatic statement like that on one portion of someones life seems to me that the whole person is lost. Thankfully God looks at the heart and knows we continue on the path despite our lack of faith in certain areas.

Psalm 37:24
Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the LORD upholdeth him with his hand.

Psalm 138:8
The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;your love, O LORD, endures forever—do not abandon the works of your hands.

Joshua Goodling said...

hmmm...never really thought about birth control from this perspective either.

I'll have to do a little thinking and study on that before I comment further.

Petra said...

Great topic! I have thoughts and opinions and will add them later tonight or tomorrow. :)

Matthew said...

It wasn't 'dogmatic', it came to me as I was typing it... I do things that people don't like, I smoke for example, so some would assume that I couldn't possibly be a believer of God... Well, it's all up for debate as far as I'm concerned, we'll all find out soon enough... I do have opinions though, I don't 'look down' on people that disagree with me... The one person in the world that I have the best relationship with, we disagree so violently on everything, it would boggle your mind...

Matthew said...

After re-reading the post, I stand by everything I said though... How could you not if you belived in God? Does He not know what you can handle? Does He not know when you can have a child? I stand by ALL comments I made!

Andrea said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Andrea said...

My opinion:

Well first of all not all people go on birth control for the birth control option. Myself and several people I know have been on it by request or doctor reccommendation for various reasons, none of which had to do with babies.
So if we are to say that anyone on birth control believes a certain thing, that's like saying everyone that eats believes a certain way. Because the Bible speaks out against gluttany, and eating for the wrong reasons, and making food your god, is a sin. But no one thinks that eating is wrong.

I think it can be wrong, depending on your reasons and attitudes behind it. But I don't think it's a subject that can be considered right or wrong or give into the assumptions that people that use it have no faith.

Or something.

Matthew said...

And that is perfectly acceptable Andrea!

I think eating is wrong, if its an issue...

Precisely the reason it's such a contentious issue...

Daniel said...

Matt, yours doesn't have a yes/no switch?

lol, anyway, GREAT topic. Michelle and I ceased from using the pill once we read (in a booklet and on the pharmaceutical information sheet that comes with the drugs) that the pill functions as an abortifacient. We never knew that before, but it states it plain as day in the paperwork. So, we stopped using that, and that's when Michelle got pregnant (a couple years ago). At any rate, I am against the pill for that reason - it can cause the death of a fertilized egg (a.k.a. a very tiny baby).

As far as whether or not you can practice birth control and have a good relationship with God. . . I would say, yes. Even if God were totally against all birth control, one could use birth control and still be a child of God - that's a no-brainer, I think.

So, if the pill is not an option, what about the others?

Abstinence - after marriage? That's ridiculous and unbiblical (I Cor. 7:5).

Coitus interruptus - this is the stupidest method of birth control on earth. I've talked to guys who use this method, and I still don't get it. Are you kidding me? No way. . .

Sterilization - that just seems wrong to me. . . Fertility is not a disease that needs to be "cured." I mean, think about it - "Doctor, I'm fertile! Cut the lines! Tie the tubes!" I don't know . . . I haven't looked into it enough to be dogmatic.

Barriers (condoms, diaphrams, sponges) - I can't say that I, off hand, see anything wrong with using these things. I do think it's wrong to prevent pregnancy indefinitely; but to plan when to have children. . . seems to be reasonable and prudent.

I think each couple should take it to God and let Him direct their choices.

Daniel said...

Speaking of birth. . . Kendra had her baby today. Michelle and I are going to stop by the hospital and visit in a few hours. We'll say hi to her for everybody. . .

Petra said...

I have been back and forth on the birth control issue, and, like Andrea, I think it boils down to motive. I don't think that all people on birth control have no faith in God (although I think there are plenty that do fit into that category).

I am about to start on birth control pills... not to stave off pregnancies, but to help with the severe abdominal cramps and other symptoms you don't want to know about (those symptoms go away if I'm not ovulating, and I didn't have the symptoms while pregnant and solely breastfeeding, but now that I'm ovulating again, the symptoms are back and let me tell you they are not pleasant!).

I disagree with the whole "well I can't afford to put children through college so I won't have any" mantra - that definitely shows a lack of faith, and I believe children/family are FAR more important than career, finances, time to yourself, etc. God has blessed me with five children (and I can't imagine life without them - they are totally awesome!), so obviously I don't use birth control as a general rule. LOL

I use birth control for health reasons (well, I'm about to start, and I have used it here and there in the past), and honestly, the thought that I won't be pregnant while using it is appealing - since I have had such rough pregnancies and so many miscarriages. I like the idea of getting healthy before considering having more kids (if we do, in fact, go down that road again). I suppose that could be considered a lack of faith by some people, but I consider it being responsible... I have five children to take care of so I need to take care of myself so I can take care of them!

I think 'planning' can be a good thing as well... you 'plan' for your future by saving money, you 'plan' for each month by working so you'll have an income - I don't feel like either of those things show a lack of faith either, but rather wisdom.

Like I said before, I'd say motive has EVERYTHING to do with it. I always said I would never do anything permanent (i.e. getting my tubes tied) and always kind of thought of that (and vasectomies) as kind of playing God... but really, if the motive is correct, what's the difference between that and birth control pills??? I'm not sure how I feel about more permanent options. I'll have to give that more thought.

Petra said...

Daniel - we have used the withdrawal (aka coitus interuptus or whatever) method many times (including currently) and it seems to work - both of us would MUCH rather do that than have to deal with condoms! So I guess maybe that's a matter of preference?

Matthew said...

LOL Daniel, if it does, I haven't found it yet, and I'm PRETTY certain I would have by now... :)

Yeah Titus, I'm with you on the fact that there are TONS of people who should not be allowed to have kids at all... Although I would LOVE to see that program started, sad to say it likely never will, but even if it did, the government would manage to screw it up so that the people that should be having kids wouldn't be allowed to and the crack whores and child molesters would be having all the kids at taxpayer expense...

Okay, so MAYBE my initial stance was a bit STRONG, but I still don't think it's quite right except under some situations (i.e. health, doctor recommended, etc)

I would still say that it isn't necessary, and even if couples consulted God on whether or not to use it, if God didn't want them to have kids, they wouldn't... If He felt they were ready to have kids, or more kids, then they'd have them... So I'll stick by my initial opinion... :)

Matthew said...

Yes Daniel, tell her we hope that she and the new baby are doing great!!

Petra said...

Tell Kendra congrats! I hope her and the baby are doing well!! :)

Tim said...

Comments all good. It is amazing how God has given us the capacity for such diverse thought. I agree that motive has a lot to do it. Matt, my comment meant that we do not always know where a person is, but God can see the heart. I would not like to judge a person that smokes as being a "bad" christian as I probably do not know where they are in their spiritual life. The great thing about the relationship with God is that we are constantly growing (or should be). I think the only time I would say that someone doesn't have much of a relationship with God is if they NEVER change how they live their life. I pray to God that I am always growing in my walk and never stagnant. My greatest fear in life is that I might start excusing my lack of faith instead of ernestly working toward strengthing my faith.

Tell Kendra congrats.

Matthew said...

I agree Timberly, when the Holy Spirit stops convicting me, I'll get quite alarmed! Yes, we all do have different thoughts on so many of these topics, and you know what, its fine! If we all agreed on everything, this world would be a boring place. The only things that we should, and I think do, agree on are the core beliefs. Salvation, the seven things the Lord hates, etc, but issues that are not directly spelled out (which are issues that split the Christian community I might add) it should not matter... We can all have our own variant beliefs on those topics and still believe in God! The trouble with most people is, they can't... And it's sad...