Tuesday, January 30, 2007

College...

So my oldest son, Chance, came up to me today and asked me: "Dad, why didn't you go to college?"... LOL! So I proceeded to tell him, "Well, son, I did go to college... Multiple times..."

Funny! Or at least I found it humorous! I actually DID go to college, I went to Pensacola Christian College in the beginning, and after a semester and a half, left... When I left, the dean actually came to the hotel room I had gone to and begged me to come back, I didn't. A few years later I decided to give it another go and went to Columbus State Community College and Ohio State, signed up for both, but then thought better of it after listening to a few of the professors. Then a few years later I signed up to go to the University of Tennessee, and actually went to a few classes, walked out of most of them because the professors were so ignorant. The funny thing is, I signed up to go to UT THREE times! Each time I walked out of each class thinking to myself, who ARE these fools!

So no, I never went to college, or at least never finished college, I went plenty of times. I think the vast majority of professors are there because it is a safe haven for their liberal rhetoric, and they simply try to brainwash the kids and push their left wing agenda... I also don't buy into the whole graduate from high school, go to college, get a job, work till you're 65 or 70, then retire and if you didn't save enough for retirement, the government will take care of you, but you might have to take a part time job at WalMart or McDonalds to make ends meet, but we don't care mentality...

I'm more of the opinion, find out what you like to do and then find a way to make a living doing it, to hell with college unless you need it (such as becoming a doctor, etc)... The VAST majority of people who WORK, HATE their jobs! That should be a HUGE clue. It's not though, for most... I see SO many people go through life, hating their JOBS, barely making it, and hating life... What is that? Find out what you like to do, and do it!

Trying to teach that mentality to kids, particularly my own, is difficult at best! We'll see how that works out. If they want to go to college, I'll send them, no doubt. I don't sit around and bitch about college at all, I hardly ever talk about it except when asked, and I was asked tonight. So I answered honestly...

6 comments:

Matthew said...

Well, I thought it was funny! :)

Daniel said...

"The VAST majority of people who WORK, HATE their jobs!"

I was just talking about this to Michelle the other day. Everywhere that I have worked, the people have griped about how much they hate it (with the exception of the Christian school - and I know people there hated it but wouldn't outright say so). Even people getting paid exorbitant amounts of money still hate their jobs. Complain, complain, complain, "I hate VCU!" "I hate the Home Depot!" "I hate this place. . ." blah blah blah. I greatly enjoyed teaching, but haven't "loved" (or really even liked) any job since then. But, I can't complain - it's not like I'm hauling bricks in a Nazi concentration camp. 99% of "work" in America is easier than squatting, people are just lazy and ungrateful. Besides, if you don't want to work at your job, quit. This isn't Cuba; everyone here gets to CHOOSE what they spend their days doing.

I think that people who hate their jobs would hate their jobs no matter where they worked. I've learned that if you can't be content where you are, you're never going to be content anywhere.

Petra said...

Yeah. I know people who are all "my kids WILL go to college and get xyz career, blah, blah, blah...". I tell my kids to do what they love to do! If that involves going to college, then we'll send them. If it doesn't - that's fine too. Justice wants to be a landscaper - no college degree required there and he hates school - so I'm not going to push him to go.
I used to get some grief from people about becoming a "lowly" housewife without going to college, and I used to think I'd go someday. But um... I LOVE being a housewife and have no desire to go to college (ugh - I always hated school; I'd rather learn on my own), so WHY would I go? I've been out in the workforce and yeah - there was no degree required for me there either. What I know how to do with computers, I taught myself (it's not that difficult).

p.s. No post on Sidney Sheldon yet???

Petra said...

oh and fyi (in case anyone is interested)... Jarvis plans on going to college to become a geologist, and Brittany plans on going to an Ivy League school to become a journalist and then go to Africa to do her journalism and be a missionary. :)

Matthew said...

LOL... I was actually going to post on Sidney Sheldon, then decided not to... Who knows though, I might... :)

He is one of my favorite authors, and he is one of the few authors that I have read all of his books, some of them multiple times...

Matthew said...

I couldn't agree more: 'if you can't be content where you are, you're never going to be content anywhere'