Thursday, April 03, 2008

Fifth Grade Field Trip...

Today was the fifth grade field trip to Chattanooga. As Room Dad, I had little choice but to volunteer to be a chaperone. We had to be at the school this morning at 6:30, so I set my alarm for 5:00, but for some reason woke up at 4:37 and just got up fearing I would not wake back up if I went back to sleep... I of course went and made coffee as I normally do in the AM, heating up what was left from yesterday first because I MUST have coffee immediately upon waking, particulary at that hour... Checked online, e-mail, logged into my office, etc, then went and woke Chance up and off we went...

First stop was Ruby Falls. The three kids standing, Ryan, Chance and Brandon were my responsibility for the entire day. They took about ten parents per class, each parent had to make sure each of the kids they were responsible for were within "grabbing distance" the entire time. We had a good time at Ruby Falls, I'd been before, but it has been ten or fifteen years...

Next stop was the Chattanooga Riverboat Pier 2 where we had lunch. The lunch was tolerable I suppose. We were to go on a Riverboat cruise next, but the plans changed and off we went to the Chattanooga Aquarium...

The kids LOVED the Aquarium. I think Chance was one of the few kids who could get a butterfly to land on his hand. I managed to do it once and tried to show the kids how to get them to land on them, but then it was off to the next exhibit...

Chance LOVED the Aquarium. He took about four times as many pictures as I did, so perhaps he will post some on his blog... :) Yes, I realize he NEEDS a haircut!!

Last event was a ride on the Southern Belle... Of course by this time I'm OVER it! I think the reason I was though is because I wasn't able to smoke all day, I did sneak a cig in behind the bus twice as the kids were loading, but that was it. Just as well I suppose, but I wasn't happy! :)

LUCKILY I took a book with me! We rode on those charter buses, and of course the kids all brought their iPods, Nintendo DS devices and their PSP's... Plus they played a movie on the bus. I was immediately absorbed in a book I have wanted to start for some time: Ken Follett, World Without End. What a writer! I'm so into it now I feel like picking it back up right now! I won't though, because if I do, I'll read it all night and two nights in a row with little sleep I don't need! So a good time was had by all, and now it's time for me to go get some zzzz's... :)

6 comments:

Jackie said...

LOOKS LIKE FUN!!! That is so great that you do that! :D

So cute about Chance and all his picture taking. That is great for him. Tell him to post them on his blog!!! :D I do love a blog with photos!! :D

Yes, Titus is the same way when it comes to Ken Follett. He can't put it down once he starts. He will even wake up in the middle of the night and just has to see what will happen next! LOL!! Crazy guy!!:D

Petra said...

Wow - what a busy day!! That is a lot of activities to cram into one day.

I got Pillars of the Earth from the library, but haven't started it yet. I'm hoping it doesn't disappoint. :)

Petra said...

Are you getting lots done on the pool house this weekend? We're looking forward to the next set of photos. :)

Matthew said...

Yes, I have been! With any luck, I'll soon be done! :)

Tim said...

I have gone on several of those field trips. I always volunteer too :). We always wind up with more kids in our group then I am in charge of. Sounds like a nice field trip. The boys are looking forward to the next science club field trip. We get to spend the night at the zoo :). very cool.

You know they are coming up with a vaccination for cigarette smoking? The vaccine will bind to the nicotine before it crosses the the blood-brain barrier eliminating the addictive effective. weird. they are trying to come up with ones for heroin, cocaine etc. too

Matthew said...

Hmmm... Perhaps I should try that out!