Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Vehicles...

So here's a question... Do you do your own vehicle repairs? I don't normally, but my wife's van has a busted hose, and it's not one of those hoses right in the front that is easy to get to... So I sit here and think to myself, do I go buy the eight dollar hose and attempt to do it myself, or do I take it somewhere and possibly get 'stuck' with a several hundred dollar bill??

I HATE doing car repairs with a passion!! I also HATE getting screwed by mechanics! Ahh... The dilemma continues... I guess I'll decide in the morning...

I think they intentionally put parts, like hoses, in hard to access areas, just so people will take it in rather than spend the 10 minutes to just replace it themselves with a readily availabe eight dollar part, that requires little more work than loosening a clamp on each end and replacing it... I'm sure I'll end up taking it in, but I am toying with the idea of doing it myself...

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Well, I was right - replace two $8 hoses - $356...

Joshua Goodling said...

Yeah, that's a rip off:

$16 for the hoses
$50 for the hour of labor
$150 to remove the new hoses from their boxes
$150 to throw the old hoses into the garbage recepticle.

But, unless you feel like getting all greasy and know what you're doing - not much choice. Well, guess you could buy a horse and buggy, but that's not too practical on I-285 in Atlanta.

Matthew said...

LOL... Exactly! I detest vehicle repairs of any kind... I guess they know that though, therefore the rip offs... We all accept it though, or most, because I won't do car repairs... :)

Petra said...

We always got ripped off for car repairs, until Andy spent a year managing that Jiffy Lube in Knoxville - now he does a lot of the work himself. It saves us a lot of money.

Now, since he's been gone? Yeah - I've been screwed a couple times for car stuff - they see me coming a MILE away!!! LOL :D

Jackie said...

I thought that they were more brutal on women than men... go figure. I guess it is equal oppertunity now. I am lucky to have a company car. Now if they want to screw me over they have to call someone else and ask :))