Wednesday, May 14, 2008

PC Hell...

I know everyone goes through it, but damn! I've had various PC issues over the past two years, but rather than address them, I just keep doing 'temporary fixes' and keep limping along... This week, I rebuilt my server with bigger drives in it and started the process of transferring data from the six PC's it is spread over trying to consolidate it all into one location for a change! I set my partitions up on the server like so:



Of course now that I am transferring everything over, it's like, hmmm... I thought 170GB would be PLENTY of space... Turns out it may not be though, ugh!! I suppose it will have to do for a while, but I remember when 60, 80 or 100GB of hard disk space was MORE than enough... I think I need to setup a separate storage device with a TB of space just so I never run out, at least for the next year or so... It's stunning how much space just the average user needs these days with digital pictures, movies, songs, etc... Of course my song collection doesn't take up all that much space because I listen to the same songs over and over, but the rest?? Yeah, it's starting to take up too much space...

I suppose I should just consider myself lucky that I can do all this myself though without having to pay someone else to do it... :)


6 comments:

Joshua Goodling said...

lol - yeah, the first computer I bought had 40MB on the entire hard drive!! :-) Now I've got 100 GB and almost have it filled.

Petra said...

I have an external hard drive for all my photos and most of my music. I have a lot of music though - I can't just listen to the same stuff over and over. lol.

I've been meaning to ask you how to get my laptop to speed up. It keeps going slow for some reason?

Joshua Goodling said...

Petra, run a program like - http://www.regcure.com/ - that will clean up your system registry which is usually the culprit when a computer is running slow.

Also - defrag the hard drive and delete the "temp" files.

Matthew said...

Could be any number of things... :)

Like Joshua said though, running defrag and then disk cleanup can improve performance... (Both found under Programs > Acessories > System Tools)

You should also make sure nothing is automatically set to start when you boot up... The only thing you want to start is your anti-virus software...

1. Delete anything in the Programs > Startup folder...

2. Open the registry editor (Start > Run > regedit. Check the following locations:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Software > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows > CurrentVersion > Run

Delete anything in there except your anti-virus stuff... When you install most applications, they all put some sort of crap there because everyone wants to believe that you will be using their program all the time... All it does is bog your system down... If you need the program, start it, it doesn't need to be 'running' 24/7... :)

You can also right-click on My computer, choose properties, select the advanced tab, select Performance > settings. Click 'Adjust for best performance'. Then select Advanced and check programs under both options... On that same window, you can also increase the size of your paging file...

Titus said...

my laptop has a 300GB hard drive and 3 gigs of ram..

of course i have a lot of music..

Tim said...

Yeah, I know what you mean about space. I want to get an external hard drive for pictures and what not too. Everything takes up too much space.