Tuesday, August 14, 2007

The Tricky Part...

Framing a roof by yourself, particularly if you have never done it before... I decided to do a hip roof, seemed a little confusing at first, but I think I've got it now.

I built those temporary frames to hold the ridge board...

Then I measured and cut my first rafter... Angles, seat cut, tail length, etc... So I went up to see if the rafter fit, but I had the ridge board about 5 and a half inches too high, I did not account for the 2 x 6 that I nailed the frames to that hold the ridge board... So I decided to call it a day! The rafter though looks like it will fit like a charm, so who knows, maybe I'll get the roof up tomorrow... Time will tell... :)

5 comments:

Matthew said...

Have I mentioned that I HATE heights??

Joshua Goodling said...

Hating heights and working on a roof is not a good combination! Especially when you're handicapped by a thumb!!

Good luck with that! Although I'm sure it will look nice when you're done!

I wish I could just stay home from work and do my projects! ;-)

Matthew said...

LOL! Yeah, me too! I manage though with only one thumb, and I go to physical therapy starting tomorrow to see if I can get it working again, we'll see how that works out... :)

Tim said...

I have only one thing to say, BE CAREFUL!!!!! :)

Joe said...

Well at least your getting it done... Wish I could be there to help but I am covered up.