Thursday, November 22, 2007

Happy Thanksgiving!!!

I LOVE this time of year, and we have SO much to be thankful for!! Even with the problems and issues we face as a Nation, we are still without question the Greatest Nation on earth, God has truly blessed our Nation. Some would wonder how long He will continue to do so, I'm of the opinion that we should continue to offer thanks to the Almighty God for the prosperity and abundance that He has blessed us with! Not that we shouldn't fight to stop those who want to continually whittle away at the very foundation that this Great Nation was built on, but giving thanks is something we should certainly do!!

THANKSGIVING DAY 1789
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA - A PROCLAMATION

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor - and Whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

George Washington (Full text here... )

THANKSGIVING DAY 1864
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA – A PROCLAMATION

…Now, therefore, I, Abraham Lincoln, President of the United States, do hereby appoint and set apart the last Thursday in November next as a day which I desire to be observed by all my fellow-citizens, wherever they may then be, as a day of thanksgiving and praise to Almighty God, the beneficent Creator and Ruler of the Universe. And I do further recommend to my fellow-citizens aforesaid that on that occasion they do reverently humble themselves in the dust and from thence offer up penitent and fervent prayers and supplications to the Great Disposer of Events for a return of the inestimable blessings of peace, union, and harmony throughout the land which it has pleased Him to assign as a dwelling place for ourselves and for our posterity throughout all generations.
In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and caused the seal of the United States to be affixed

Abraham Lincoln (Full text here... )

THANKSGIVING DAY 2001
BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, A PROCLAMATION

…During these extraordinary times, we find particular assurance from our Thanksgiving tradition, which reminds us that we, as a people and individually, always have reason to hope and trust in God, despite great adversity. In 1621 in New England, the Pilgrims gave thanks to God, in whom they placed their hope, even though a bitter winter had taken many of their brethren. In the winter of 1777, General George Washington and his army, having just suffered great misfortune, stopped near Valley Forge, Pennsylvania, to give thanks to God. And there, in the throes of great difficulty, they found the hope they needed to persevere. That hope in freedom eventually inspired them to victory.
In 1789, President Washington, recollecting the countless blessings for which our new Nation should give thanks, declared the first National Day of Thanksgiving. And decades later, with the Nation embroiled in a bloody civil war, President Abraham Lincoln revived what is now an annual tradition of issuing a presidential proclamation of Thanksgiving. President Lincoln asked God to "heal the wounds of the nation and to restore it as soon as may be consistent with the Divine purposes to the full enjoyment of peace, harmony, tranquility, and Union."

George W. Bush (Full text here... )

Kind of interesting reading all the Presidential Thanksgiving Proclamations... I hope that everyone has a great day and gets to enjoy time with family and friends, while pausing to give thanks to God for the many blessings He has bestowed upon us!

I'm thankful that I'm not in the kitchen right now slaving over the stove! Although I suppose I'll BE in the kitchen later slaving over getting the rest of the tile up... :) Still, I'm thankful that I have the ability and the resources to do the work, I'm thankful for my wonderful family and I'm thankful that I live in this Great Nation, and most of all I'm thankful that God has seen fit to bless me as richly as He has!

2 comments:

Matthew said...

I'm also thankful that IMUS returns to TV/radio in 10 days, 21 hours, 19 minutes and 36 seconds because there is nothing else on that is even watchable in the AM... :)

Petra said...

Sounds like you guys had a good Thanksgiving. Ours was wonderful - been too busy to be blogging, but that should change in a day or two. :)

Happy two days after Thanksgiving! :)