Saturday, January 03, 2009

Movie Review...

Yeah, I actually am putting this up for you Petra, since you asked if I had any recommendations... :) I actually can't believe we have watched this many freaking movies in the past month or so, but we have... So anyway, here are my movie reviews. A lot of these are old movies, but when we get bored, we go buy the movies in the $5 bin at Walmart... Yeah, I don't get motivated to do much when it is cold out, but hey, it WAS the holidays!! :)

• Surfer, Dude: 2008 – I actually CAN’T believe I sat through this stupid movie, but I did…

• Eagle Eye: 2008 – good movie

• Burn After Reading: 2008 – kind of stupid, but we liked it for some unknown reason

• The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: 2008 – yeah, DIDN’T finish this one… Of course I’m not sure why exactly, considering some of the others that we DID sit through… :)

• Traitor: 2008 – I liked this one, Carolyn didn’t

• The Dark Knight: 2008 – I could have passed on this one, not sure exactly what all the fuss was about to be honest, I think if Ledger was still alive it would have flopped, I could be wrong though… :)

• Rise of the Footsoldier: 2007 – unwatchable, although I did manage to sit through about 45 minutes of it before turning it off

• Wanted: 2008 – um, yeah, we did watch it, but…

• Wisegal: 2008 – it was okay

• X-Files: I Want to Believe: 2008 – didn’t finish this one, but I’ve never been a fan of the show either…

• Hancock: 2008 – ridiculous film, although we did sit through it, the kids liked it…

• Mark of Cain: 2007 – turned this one off 20 minutes in…

• War of the Worlds 2: The Next Wave: 2008 – stupid

• 100 Million B.C.: 2008 – stupid

• 20 Years After: 2008 – could have been a good film if the directing was better

• Transsiberian: 2008 – I actually liked this one, not exactly sure why to be honest…

• Kansas: 1988 – mildly entertaining if you have absolutely nothing else to do

• The Curse of King Tut’s Tomb: 2005 – did not finish it as it was unwatchable

• Sleuth: 2007 – did not finish it, but we might if we ever have a night when there is nothing else on TV, i.e.: the satellite is out

• Firestorm: 1998 – okay, barely…

• Quicksand: 2002 – we DID finish it, but…

• Wicker Park: 2004 – I actually liked this one :)

• Raw Heat: 1991 – we finished it, but it was kind of stupid

• 15 Minutes: 2001 – I liked it, but then I like most movies with DeNiro in them…

• Archangel: 2005 – Um, yeah…

• Fear: 1996 – kind of a teeny bopper flick, but we enjoyed it actually

• The Watcher: 2000 – mildly entertaining (yeah, we watched a LOT of movies that were just ‘mildly entertaining’ :)

• A Kiss Before Dying: 1991 – okay

• The Fountain: 2006 – kind of a weird flick, but I liked it, of course I was the only one actually watching it after about 3 minutes… :)

• The Final Cut: 2004 – I liked it

• Exorcist II: 1977 – not sure why I had never seen this before, but it was unwatchable, and I normally like movies that deal with this sort of topic…

• Power of Attorney: 1995 – um, I watched it, everyone else gave up on it shortly after it started, so…

• UnFaithful: 2002 – good movie

• The Burbs: 1989 – I watched this one because Petra and Andrea recommended it… Actually bought it on Ebay because I couldn’t find it in any stores… Um, yeah… There were a few funny lines… :)

• The Money Pit: 1986 – I’d seen this before, but it came with The Burbs in a 3-pack of Tom Hanks flicks so I watched it again with Carolyn who had not seen it before, it wasn’t as funny or as good as I had remembered…

• Dog Watch: 1996 – bearable, but ONLY if there is nothing else to do, and when I say nothing, I mean NOTHING!

• Bobby: 2006 – we started watching this one, but fell asleep… I’ve got it on the stack to ‘finish later’ whenever there is absolutely nothing else to do…

• 10.5 Apocalypse: 2006 – I liked this one, but then I kind of like ‘disaster’ movies, not exactly sure why…

• Category 7: 2005 – ditto above

So yeah, we've been "real busy" lately... We actually have watched more than this, the Survivor series for instance, we got seasons 8 and 10 on DVD, so that provides hours of entertainment... I don't recall all of the movies that we might have watched that were rented, so yeah... :)

Hmm... Perhaps it's time to actually do something constructive, but then I really don't LIKE doing anything when it's cold outside, and there are about 10 - 12 more weeks of winter here, so who knows, I'm not sure though that there are THAT many movies left that I even want to sit through, we'll see though... :)

13 comments:

Jackie said...

HOLY COW!!! You have been busy!

Eagle Eye-- Great!

Mummy-- Titus kindof movie :D

Dark Knight-- waste of time!

That is all I have seen from your list. Good to know! :D

Jackie said...

Oh, I have to add...

Mama Mia!!!-- SOOO GREAT!!!!! :D I could watch it over and over again. Just not the sing along version. That's annoying!! :D

Matthew said...

LOL! Yeah, I suppose we have... I just got 5 more today too, so we'll see if any of those are any good... :)

Yeah, I've almost rented Mama Mia several times, but just couldn't bring myself to do it, although I'm SURE it's not nearly as bad as some of the ones we've seen thus far... :)

Andrea said...

Oh man, that's a list of movies for ya. Do you have any kind of standards for the movies you watch or will you watch just about anything? ;)

Man, Mama Mia is worth it just to hear Pierce Bronson try to sing. lol. Of course I've always been a huge Abba fan.

We've been watching a lot more TV seasons then movies lately. I just organized our collection and wow, it's sad to think of the literally thousands we've spent on movies and TV.

We actually just finished Bottle Rocket. It was alright. It was Wes Anderson's first film, I'm not sure if you're a Wes Anderson fan or not though.

Matthew said...

LOL Andrea, isn't it obvious that I have absolutely zero standards? :)

I like Abba too, or rather I used to. I've never heard of Wes Anderson, but I'll check out his stuff and let you know...

Tim said...

Wow, that's a lot of movies!! I liked "The Ultimate Gift". I bought it for LeRoy for Christmas. Very good!

Petra said...

I read this on my phone yesterday, and forgot to come back and comment when I got on the laptop. :)

I LOVED the Dark Knight! LOVED IT LOVED IT LOVED IT!!! :) :) :)
(except for Batman's crazy weird voice when he was in the mask)

The Burbs - it may be one of those movies you had to see when it came out to really appreciate - I've been watching it often since the 80s and it is one of my all-time faves - cracks me up every time. Like I think if I saw 'Better off Dead' for the first time NOW I'd hate it, but b/c I saw and loved it in the 80s, it still amuses me. :)

Okay, some on your list? I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have sat down to in the first place. lol. We did see Burn After Reading, and I enjoyed parts of it, but overall, yeah - it was stupid. And George Clooney's "machine"???!!!! Wow. No words.

I was wondering if Eagle Eye was good - we may rent that at some point.

We did rent The Women - Andy left after about 15 minutes... I thought it was okay, but not as good as I thought. There's not even one man, even in the extras, through the whole movie - that was kind of weird. lol

Oh Wanted - we saw that in the theater when it came out - wow. I was amazed when I heard so many people saying how incredibly awesome it was. Really???

Andy loves Wicker Park... I saw it once a few years ago... it was okay. I think Andy has watched it several times though.

Unfaithful - seems like I liked that when it came out. It's been so long since I saw it though.

I wondered about The Fountain - we may check that out too. I'll pass on Surfer Dude and The Mummy. lol!!!

We've been watching TV shows lately too - we just started Seinfeld over again from season 1 (Andy got all 7 seasons for dirt cheap when he was in Iraq)... we don't have the special features, and season 6 and 7 are missing some episodes and were recorded off someone's TV, but ya know - you get what you pay for. lol. It's just relaxing sometimes to sit and watch a 1/2 hour sitcom (or maybe 4 episodes - lol). :)

Seems like we have watched a few others lately... I can't remember though. There are some in the theaters I'd like to see, but we haven't been going to many movies.

Petra said...

Were any of the ones you rented last night any good? We rented a few from the "older" section, but I haven't watched them... Stardust, which I had already seen (once was enough), Equilibrium, and something else... some action flick the boys picked out. I think they already watched them all.

Petra said...

Oh, about the dark knight - I'll also add that I tend to love most superhero movies. Except the newest Incredible Hulk - I sat through that the other day because I couldn't get up and move... it was pretty much pure torture! lol!

Matthew said...

LOL, yeah, "some on my list"... :)

We have seen all the 'new' movies though at all the rental kiosks, so we are relegated to buying DVD's at either Walmart or Big Lots (where we have discovered they sell DVD's for $2 each, which is just as cheap as renting... Drawback is most of them are older movies, but then again, after seeing many of the 'new' movies they come out with, I'd RATHER watch older ones... :)

Of course we could just stop watching them, but whatever... Although, the 'movie marathon' is drawing to a close though because I'm over it! :)

Anyway, since I put up that post, we have watched these:

*The Confessor: 2004 - okay I suppose

*A Different Loyalty: 2004 - I liked it... :)

*The Passenger: 1975 - stopped after 30 minutes, although it is on the stack to watch later when there is absolutely nothing else to do...

*Final Analysis: 1999 - good movie (I'm not sure why I never saw some of these movies when they were new to be honest)

*Supernova: 1999 - I liked it, Carolyn did not

*The Ballad of Jack and Rose: 2005 - kind of weird, but it was okay

*The Last Castle: 2001 - we liked it

*Peacemaker: 1997 - good movie

*Unspeakable: 2002 - uh, we watched it, but it was stupid!

So yeah...

I like watching TV shows as well, but just am NOT going to pay what they want for them in the stores, and I don't have the luxury of buying them on the street in Iraq... :)

Petra said...

lol - "luxury"? We do have all the Seinfeld and Gilmore Girls, though, from when Andy was over there - and a stack of movies... some of which are great, some of which turned out to be some arab in the theater with a camcorder - yeah, I don't watch THOSE! lol!

Out of your recent list, I have only seen The Last Castle, and have seen that a few times (we own it). I need to buy more movies... I like having a variety to choose from, and we don't get any TV channels.

Matthew said...

LOL! I suppose luxury wasn't quite the right word! :)

Matthew said...

Just think, won't be long and I'll be able to pop a movie in my player here and you'll be able to watch it there...

The technological advances in the coming years will be quite astounding, I'm looking forward to it.