Monday, May 03, 2010

Tanner's 5th Grade Field Trip...

Today was Tanner's 5th grade field trip, I actually don't mind going because the kids love for me to go, which is the only reason I do... The only bad thing is I can't smoke, which probably isn't a bad thing, but I can usually sneak one in here and there, today that was not the case and it is also the longest I have ever been without a cig since boot camp in 1989... :( Oh well, we had fun.

We took tour buses to downtown Atlanta and went to the Martin Luther King Center, then to Turner Field and the final stop was the CNN Center...

It was raining pretty much all day until near the end, so that sucked, but luckily I did bring my umbrella! Only about 30% of the parents had them and none of the kids, I wasn't giving mine up though, I did let the kids gather around the edges though, so a few people stayed dry because of mine, but the most important thing is that I did!! ;)

First stop was the Martin Luther King Center, not sure who actually chose that stop, it was boring as hell! Luckily we didn't stay there long as we got started late and they decided to cut short that visit to not throw off the rest of the schedule... These were the three kids I was in charge of: Matthew, Jacob and Tanner...

Next stop was Turner Field. The kids enjoyed it there. This is the box where the press sits to watch the games...

Sitting in the visiting team dugout... We also got to visit the floor with all the suites and see how the people who have $$ get to watch the games, saw the visiting team locker room and the announcers booth as well...


The three yahoos I was in charge of again... It's stunning how many of the chaperones can't control just three kids!!???!!! Of course I'm usually one of the only men, so the bathroom breaks are something else. "Stop making a mess with the soap!", "Quit splashing water!", "Leave him alone!", "Come on, quit playing and lets go!", etc... :(

Final stop was the CNN Center. For the vast majority of the tour there we could not take pictures or use our cell phones, but we got to see live broadcasts in progress, see the newsroom, etc... I enjoyed it the most, as did most of the kids...

So one more of these to go in two years, then my 5th grade field trip days are officially over!!!

5 comments:

Jackie said...

How fun! I can't wait to do that kind of stuff again. I did a bunch of it when I was a nanny! The kids LOVE it when their parents/babysitters are there!!! :)

The CNN thing does look interesting. And I could have had a good time at the field... but who's dumb idea to go the the MLK place...B-O-R-I-N-G!!!!! :)

Matthew said...

Haha! The kids hated the MLK thing, as did I... I'm sure some idiot in the "office" added that stop to the list and likely didn't even go... :)

Andrea said...

Looks like Tanner had a good time!

Petra said...

Looks like fun! I haven't been on a field trip in years. When Jarvis was a baby I still went on them and just toted him along, but then when the 4th kid came along, combining babies/toddlers AND a bunch of kids that weren't mine was not anything that appealed to me anymore. Maybe once Paige is in school, I'll start going again. :)

Tim said...

AWesome! Looks like lots of fun. Molly and I took the CNN tour one year!